A credit union is a cooperative organization owned entirely by its members and operated for the benefit of all who belong.
It is different from a bank or savings and loan because it’s a not-for-profit organization. That means the profits are returned to customers, known as members, in the form of higher savings rates, lower loan rates, and low or no fees.
When you choose USSFCU as your financial institution, you are not just a customer to us — you are a valued member and owner. We are committed to providing you with a safe and convenient place to do all your financial activities and an easier, more economical way to borrow.
Who can join?
1. Employees of Select Employee Groups.
Additionally, whether or not the employees themselves become members, they may extend the membership to their immediate families and households.
2. Individuals sponsored by a family or household member.
A member in good standing or a current employee of a Select Employee Group may sponsor an immediate family member, as well as others in the same household. This includes:
- Immediate family (child, sibling, parent, grandparent, grandchild, stepparent, stepchild, step sibling, or adoptive relationship)
- Household members (persons living in the same residence and maintaining a single economic unit)
- Organizations of people in one of the above groups
3. Members of the American Consumer Council (ACC), Virginia Chapter.
All members of the ACC are eligible to join USSFCU. ACC is a non-profit membership organization founded in 1987 and dedicated to consumer education, advocacy and financial literacy. Join ACC for $10.00 and automatically become eligible to join USSFCU.
For more information or to join the ACC, visit http://americanconsumercouncil.org/.
4. Members of the U.S. Capitol Historical Society (USCHS).
As a member of the Society, either as an individual or as an employee of a member organization, you are automatically eligible to join USSFCU. USCHS is a non-profit educational organization created in 1962 to promote the history of the Capitol and Congress. Become a USCHS member today by donating as little as $50.00 and apply to USSFCU at the same time. Current members of USCHS are also invited to participate in this member offering.
For more information or to join the USCHS, visit http://uschs.org/.
How do I join?
It’s easy to join USSFCU and to start taking advantage of the benefits of membership. Simply choose one of the easy methods below to get started:
1. Visit one of our convenient branches to apply in person. Or, email us or call 800.374.2758 to have a secure application sent to you. You will also need to open a Primary Savings Account at that time with a minimum of $5 and pay the one-time-only membership fee of $1 to secure your membership with us.
2. Make the switch from another financial institution to USSFCU using our convenient Switch Checklist.
Those who apply will need to have the following information ready: name(s), address, date of birth, and at least one valid form of identification (photo ID, passport, etc.).
What are the benefits for students who join?
Membership at USSFCU at a young age entitles you to numerous benefits that you'll enjoy right away, and throughout your lifetime. Unlike other banks and credit unions, USSFCU offers a wealth of education products and services to get you started.
You can access information about your accounts from anywhere, anytime with a network of ATMs, shared branches, online and mobile banking, and even make deposits remotely using your smartphone. Membership makes you eligible to take part in the USSFCU Student Lending program, which includes access to private student loans and consolidations, discounts and rewards, lower rates on borrowing, and higher rates on saving.