May is Older Americans Month
Published: May 6, 2021
May is Older Americans Month, and World Elder Abuse Awareness Day (WEAAD) is just two weeks later on June 15.
During the month of May, and through June 15, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) will spotlight tools and resources that can help older adults achieve and maintain financial well-being. We'll be sharing some of their resources, as well as some of our own, in hopes that the information will help keep our older adult members and their families safe from financial abuse.
Explore some of the CFPB's resources for older adults below. To learn more about the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, visit their website at consumerfinance.gov.
- Financial caregiving – resources for those who help an older relative or friend manage their money.
- Planning for retirement – information on the factors that influence when to claim Social Security.
- Online and mobile banking tips – a few tips to help older adults get started.
- Elder financial exploitation – resources to help older adults and their caregivers prevent, avoid, and report scams, fraud, and other forms of financial exploitation.
- Housing decisions – help for those considering a reverse mortgage as well as current reverse mortgage borrowers.
USSFCU is a proud member of the National Association of Senior Advocates
The National Association of Senior Advocates (NAOSA) was founded to protect our senior population from unethical business practices, scams and businesses who attempt to target and take advantage of not only seniors but all consumers. Please visit their website at www.naosa.org to take advantage of their resources.
The content on this page provides general consumer information. It is not legal advice or regulatory guidance. We do not endorse or guarantee the accuracy of third-party information.